Thursday, 8 December 2016

Take by N Isabelle Blanco & K I Lynn (#2 Need)

Title: Take
Series: Need (#2)
Authors: N Isabelle Blanco, K I Lynn
From: The Need Box Set (Amazon)
Genre: Romance
Release Date: 6th January 2016
Challenges: 2016 New Release Challenge2016 Read the Books You Buy, 2016 Prequel & Sequel Challenge (2 points)
Links: Goodreads - Amazon 
Synopsis (from Goodreads): He broke me. The only man I’ve ever loved. Wrecked me beyond recognition. But I can’t get away from him. Brayden haunts me, persistently. His last name is what he is—a hunter. And I’m his prey. I just want to move on, forget him. But he won’t let me.  He’s a whore and I break, letting him in. One hit is a gateway drug, and I’m suddenly unable to stay away. So I take what I need from him. I hate him. I love him. And I don’t even have a fighting chance against him.

Take is the second book in the Need series, and shouldn't be read as a standalone. It takes place directly after the events of Need and involves the same characters who are still dealing with the same obstacles. This review should be spoiler free. 

For anyone that read my review on Monday (yes it really didn't take me long to cave and read book 2. In fact, I've already got book 3 on my Kindle, so yep it's going to be one of those series), you know that I had some issues with it. Basically some of the book made me uncomfortable, and yet it's addictive nature made me love it. Well, Take has slightly less of those issues. Both of the main characters are now over 18 (which takes away most of my problems really!) and it has the same addictive quality, I read this one in just under 3 hours, because I just couldn't bring myself to put it down. 

Brayden has redeemed himself a little in my eyes. In the first book he wasn't a particularly likable character. He just kept hurting Kira, the female lead, over and over again, and it made him difficult to like. In this book, the dislike hasn't totally gone, but he's realised what he wants and what he has to do to prove himself. He still goes about it a little heavy handedly at times, but least now his heart is in the right place. 

Now Kira...she's definitely one jaded 18 year old, but then again I can't really blame her. Brayden has been so hot and cold with her that it just didn't seem possible for her not to be. She didn't just let him have his way all the time, instead she made him work hard for her attention. It took her a lot of the book to even come to terms with the fact that she wanted him. 

What made this really interesting was the way that their quasi-relationship was seen from the outside. The story is told from dual first person POV, and so we don't actually know what other people are thinking. But there were a lot of hints that their feelings for each other were clearer to the outside world than they thought. After the end of the first book, it was clear that Kira's brother (and Brayden's step-brother), Ryan knew about the two of them. But this one made it clear that more people know than they'd hope. Including Ryan's father. 

This book still isn't for everybody. Once the two of them finally get it on, the floodgates open and they have a lot of sex, but then it'd been building for a book and a half. I still feel the characters are acting a bit older than they are, but now that age isn't a big thing to the plot, that's actually easy enough to ignore. And they're still step-siblings. So yeah, not for everyone, but highly addictive!