Thursday, 3 November 2016

Sins of a Duke by Stacy Reid (#3 Scandalous House of Calydon)

Title: Sins of a Duke
Series: Scandalous House of Calydon (#3)
Author: Stacy Reid
From: Netgalley
Genre: Historical Romance
Release Date: 13th March 2015
Challenges:  2016 Netgalley & Edelweiss Challenge, 2016 Blogger Shame
Links: Goodreads - Amazon
Synopsis (from Goodreads): All of the young ladies whispered about the Duke of Mondvale in hushed tones, their eyes following his tall, dark figure with barely disguised lust. For the newly-ostracized Lady Constance Thornton, he is magnetic and altogether desirable. Irresistibly so. Since her reputation is already ruined in London society, why shouldn't she be impudent and dance with the scandalous “Lord of Sin”? Little does she know of his plans. The beautiful and innocent Lady Constance is no mere plaything for Lucan Wynwood. She will be his revenge. By ruining her, he will have his vengeance against her brother. Except that the Lady Constance is full of surprises...and now she could well be the ruin of him.

While Sins of a Duke is part of a series, I haven't read any of the previous books and still found it enjoyable. Therefore I would say that it could be read as a standalone, however there were links to the previous characters in the series (Constance's brothers). 

Sins of a Duke was one of my random picks from my kindle because I didn't know what I wanted to read, other than something a bit more fun than I had been before (my previous two books had centred around murder and crime). What I got was something a little bit more nefarious than an illicit romance, but something that still had that certainty to it that I like sometimes. 

Constance and Lucan had great chemistry between them from the start, though there were a couple of points where I wanted to bang their heads together because they were being idiots about how they felt. In fact while Constance was fairly accepting of their relationship, Lucan seemed to be in complete denial and didn't seem to want to accept that he felt anything for it. 

The one thing that I feel I may have benefitted from reading the previous books for was the sub plot surrounding Lucan's revenge, namely the events around Constance's brother and his sister. While everything was explained later in the book, if events had happened first hand in previous ones then it may have removed a little of the mystery for me. 

I liked Constance's friendship with Charlotte too, and that she was definitely more than just a sidekick. She interacted with the other characters and rather than standing in Constance's way she helped her when she needed it; like a true friend would. 

I enjoyed this book, it was fun and interesting! Definitely worth a read.