Tuesday, 29 November 2016

Forget Me Not by Michelle M Pillow

Title: Forget Me Not
Author: Michelle M Pillow
From: Review Copy
Genre: Historical Paranormal Romance
Release Date: 29th November 2016 (rereleased, previous title: The Mists of Midnight)
Challenges: N/A
Links: Goodreads - Amazon 
Synopsis (from Goodreads):  A love story that defies perception…When the willfully independent Isabel Drake refuses to marry the man her parents want her to, her mother decides as punishment she will be forced to take lessons on how to be a proper lady. But the man sent to instruct her makes her feel anything but proper. Her attraction to Mr. Weston is instant, but the confusing man seems set in keeping her in her place—even if she detects he feels something for her. But things are not what they seem at Rothfield Park or with her new tutor. With Mr. Weston’s arrival there comes an abundance of unrested spirits. Suddenly, Isabel doesn’t know who is alive and who is dead. Why have they come now? And what are they trying frantically to tell her? Isabel must discover the truth about the eerie night mist that surrounds the manor before it comes to claim everyone she holds dear—including her Mr. Weston. Paranormal Regency Historical Ghost Romance. 

I won't lie, Forget Me Not is not my normal genre to read. I like paranormal romance, and I like Regency romance, I just wouldn't necessarily go for a mix of the two. However, as it's an author that I 100% know I will enjoy, I had no issues in giving this a go, and I'm glad I did because it was a great read! The story really dragged me in and I enjoyed every minute of reading! 

One thing I will say though, is that I had one of the twists figured out pretty early on, even without reading the blurb (I ignore blurbs more often than I should really!) I don't think it damaged my enjoyment of the book though, and there were a few moments where I doubted if I was right or not, but something that the Reverend said when Isabel first met him had me convinced that the twist was true. 

I liked the relationship between Isabel and Dougal was good, it grew from nothing into something in a very organic way and I really believed in what they felt for each other. There was also the conflict of their love in the way, which was only slightly influenced by the historical setting. 

Forget Me Not had a bit of a gothic feel to it, especially towards the end, and while I don't read it very often, I do love gothic fiction, which is probably why this one appealed to me so much. Definitely worth a read...plus that cover!