Monday, 3 October 2016

Threats of Sky and Sea by Jennifer Ellision

Title: Threats of Sky and Sea
Series: Threats of Sky and Sea (#1)
Author: Jennifer Ellision
From: Netgalley
Genre: Fantasy
Release Date: 20th May 2014
Challenges:  2016 Netgalley & Edelweiss Challenge
Links: Goodreads - Amazon 
Synopsis (from Goodreads): Sixteen year-old Breena Perdit has spent her life as a barmaid, innocent to her father’s past and happily free from the Elemental gifts that would condemn her to a life in the Egrian King’s army. Until the day that three Elemental soldiers recognize her father as a traitor to the throne and Bree’s father is thrown in jail—along with the secrets from his last mission as the King’s assassin. Secrets that could help the King win a war. Secrets he refuses to share. Desperate to escape before the King’s capricious whims prove her and her father’s downfall, Bree bargains with him: information for their lives. It’s a good trade. And she has faith she’ll get them both out of the King’s grasp with time. But that was before the discovery that she’s the weapon the King’s been waiting for in his war. Now, time is running out. To save her father’s life and understand her own, Bree must unravel the knot of her father’s past before the King takes his life– and uses her to bring a nation to its knees.

So I will admit that one of the reasons I picked up this book is because I loved the cover (and those of the two sequels) while the other reason is that I'm in a massive fantasy mood and felt I should take advantage of that and read a new one. While I was nervous about this book and it took me a couple of chapters to get into it, I quickly found myself sucked into it and didn't want to put it down. 

Bree was a complicated character and to my mind she really did seem 16, even if she did have to grow up quickly when events got going. She has moments of being unsure, as well as moments of being scared, and her emotions ruled her ever so slightly, but to me that just made her a more believable and accessible character. 

I also liked the various side characters. While Aleta was a little cold at first, she definitely grew on me and the slow building friendship between her and Bree was a real highlight for me. Even though Bree saw her as an ice Princess there were a lot of moments where she let things slip and made it clear that she too was only 16. 

The romantic side of the story wasn't strong in the slightest, and I liked that. It was definitely there, but it was two young people being attracted to one another  but having bigger things to worry about. It was stolen moments and brief glances and for me it worked. 

There was a certain element of predictability to some of the story but by the time they came along it was too late and I was captivated anyway!