Thursday, 6 October 2016

The Gender Game by Bella Forrest

Title: The Gender Game
Series: The Gender Game (#1)
Author: Bella Forrest
From: Netgalley
Genre: Dystopia
Release Date: 24th September 2016
Challenges: 2016 Netgalley & Edelweiss Challenge, 2016 New Release Challenge, Summer COYER 2016
Links: Goodreads - Amazon 
Synopsis (from Goodreads): A toxic river divides nineteen-year-old Violet Bates's world by gender. Women rule the East. Men rule the West. Welcome to the lands of Matrus and Patrus...Ever since the death of her mother, Violet's life has been shadowed by bad luck. Already a prisoner to her own nation, now after two unfortunate incidents resulting in womanslaughter, she has been sentenced to death. But one decision could save her life. One decision to enter the kingdom of Patrus, where men rule and women submit. Everything about the patriarchy defies Violet's identity, but she must sacrifice many things if she wishes to survive the forbidden kingdom... including forbidden love. 

I have super mixed feelings about The Gender Game. For a start I kind of expected there to be more of an actual game in the plot, though I did prefer how it worked out. In fact I thought the plot was strong and it had me intrigued til the very end, my problem was more Violet.

So most of the time when a character has done something bad, like Violet's womanslaughter, there's a reason for it that makes them seem more human. However with Violet there wasn't so much. I mean I guess that it was illustrating she was let down by the system, but ultimately it had more to do with her anger management than anything else. There were moments where I was sympathetic to her, but at the back of my mind was always the fact she seemed a little guilt free about her past. 

Now the other two main characters, Lee and Viggo. We only saw the two characters from Violet's perspective and they served very different roles. From the off I wasn't too sure about Lee, there was something about him that I wasn't a fan of. On the other hand, Viggo quickly became my favourite character. He seemed to be the most well rounded character and thought of others. 

The dystopias were interesting in their contrasts, and it was clear that the author wanted to portray that neither a world run by women or one run by men was better and I think she definitely got that across. The theme of equality went through this book and was best demonstrated by Viggo and Violet's growing relationship. 

And the ending, I did not see that coming, but it was brilliant and added to the plot that I liked. Even if I feel a little funny about Violet, the plot was interesting and I want to know more about the world!