Sunday, 23 October 2016

Sunday Post (23/10/2016)

Sunday Post

Thank you to Kimberly @ caffinatedbookreviewer for hosting!


My Life This Week 


So after promising myself that I'd post Sunday Posts regularly I kind of massively fell off the radar...oops! I promise to get back on it now though! I went through a few months of being really down (I was diagnosed with anxiety and depression a few years ago and it hasn't seemed to have left me alone fully yet) and then other things kind of got in the way! I've done loads since my last Sunday Post consequently! I've been to a couple of weddings, finally completed my Brownie Guide warrant (making me a proper leader) and lost over 2 stone of weight, simply by being a bit more sensible with what I'm eating. I've also made ice cream cupcakes (I didn't eat one!) 

My Writing This Week 

Right, so this is where things have all changed completely since my last Sunday post! I finished book 2 of the Alventia series, Cloaked, and I've also finished my Phantom of the Opera retelling, which took a little bit of a departure from what I'd planned it on being. But anyway What Lies Beneath the Mask is now on Kindle Scout, so queue very nervous Laura obsessing slightly despite it being out of my control! I've also just started this really cool tournament/creative writing challenge called Author Vs Author, which I've been enjoying so far! I'm finally getting sorted on the other things I need too, like a mailing list (there's a signup on my side bar) and actually keeping my author blog up to date! 

And I thought that was going to be it when I wrote this post earlier in the week, but it turns out I was wrong...for the first time I've signed up to Nanowrimo! I've been doing a lot of thinking and planning about my writing recently and have decided I really need to write more, with the intention that next year I can really start to get my work out there! On that note (as of Friday night) I've reached 8000 words on my latest WIP, it's an idea that's been hanging around in my imagination for a while, but I finally got it started on Tuesday!

Reading This Week 

So because it's been so long I'm just going to do the books I've read this month so far, and then next week onwards I can start on what I read each week! As you may be able to see I have had a little binge read of Val McDermid's Tony Hill & Carol Jordan series!

Werewolves of New York: Darik by Faleena Hopkins (2016 Prequel & Sequel Challenge
Fever of the Bone by Val McDermid (2016 Prequel & Sequel Challenge
Concealed by Christina Bauer (2016 Prequel & Sequel Challenge, 2016 New Release Challenge, 2016 Netgalley & Edelweiss Challenge)
The Retribution by Val McDermid (2016 Prequel & Sequel Challenge
Mr Mysterious by JA Huss (2016 Prequel & Sequel Challenge, 2016 New Release Challenge)
Radar Deception by Mandy M Roth (2016 Prequel & Sequel Challenge
Cross and Burn by Val McDermid (2016 Prequel & Sequel Challenge, 2016 Netgalley & Edelweiss Challenge, 2016 Blogger Shame
Mr Monday by Shana Gray (2016 Netgalley & Edelweiss Challenge)
Flame by Michelle M Pillow (2016 Prequel & Sequel Challenge, 2016 New Release Challenge
Splinter the Silence by Val McDermid (2016 Prequel & Sequel Challenge, 2016 Netgalley & Edelweiss Challenge, 2016 Blogger Shame
Cocky Cowboy by Faleena Hopkins (2016 Prequel & Sequel Challenge, 2016 New Release Challenge
Aberrant by Ruth Silver (2016 Netgalley & Edelweiss Challenge, 2016 Blogger Shame, 2016 Reading Assignment)
The Dragon Shifter's Duty by Mandy M Roth (2016 Prequel & Sequel Challenge, 2016 New Release Challenge)
Cocky Romantic by Faleena Hopkins (2016 Prequel & Sequel Challenge, 2016 New Release Challenge)
Circle of Fire by Keri Arthur (2016 Netgalley & Edelweiss Challenge, 2016 Blogger Shame, My TBR List)  
The Spaniard's Kiss by Nina Croft (2016 Netgalley & Edelweiss Challenge, 2016 Blogger Shame)  

On the Blog in the Past Week (and this is the past week not the past month!)

So this week I've had paranormal romance reviews of Werewolves of New York: Darik, The Dragon Shifter's Duty (a new release!) and . As well as a fantasy review of Blood Blade, and urban fantasy, Smoke on the Water.

The start of my binge reading of Val McDermid's Tony Hill & Carol Jordan series (well the last 5 books of it) started with Beneath the Bleeding and Fever of the Bone.

On my author blog I've been posting information about my latest book What Lies Beneath the Mask, including an excerpt, a bonus scene and a post about the settings in the book. There is more going further back too!

Around the Internet

This may take me a little time to compile because I've been lurking a lot this week! But definitely check out Michelle's feature this month, Monster and Book on becausereading.com (which I also did a guest post for!) I also read a really interesting article from Emma Darwin about the length of books (and if you think your manuscript is too long!) In a more light hearted vein though, I took this fun quiz on buzzfeed which is a British Tea Drinker's nightmare (they were right it really was!) Also here's a sign up link for a blitz for a fantastic author! Just thought I'd share!