Tuesday, 4 October 2016

Scent of Magic by Maria V Snyder

Title: Scent of Magic
Series: Avry of Kazan (#2)
Author: Maria V Snyder
From: Amazon
Genre: Fantasy
Release Date: 18th December 2012
Challenges: 2016 Prequel & Sequel Challenge (2 points)
Links: Goodreads - Amazon 
Synopsis (from Goodreads): Hunted, Killed—Survived? As the last Healer in the Fifteen Realms, Avry of Kazan is in a unique position: in the minds of her friends and foes alike, she no longer exists. Despite her need to prevent the megalomanical King Tohon from winning control of the Realms, Avry is also determined to find her sister and repair their estrangement. And she must do it alone, as Kerrick, her partner and sole confident, returns to Alga to summon his country into battle. Though she should be in hiding, Avry will do whatever she can to support Tohon’s opponents. Including infiltrating a holy army, evading magic sniffers, teaching forest skills to soldiers and figuring out how to stop Tohon’s most horrible creations yet; an army of the walking dead—human and animal alike and nearly impossible to defeat. War is coming and Avry is alone. Unless she figures out how to do the impossible ... again. 

Scent of Magic is the second book of the Avry of Kazan series and should not be read as a standalone. While the relevant information is given to remind readers of the events of the previous book, the story and the character development are intertwined with the previous events. There may be spoilers for the previous book in this review. 

I think I am addicted to this series. There is just something about Avry and her fellow characters that have me well and truly sucked in, more so than Yelena and her cohort in the Chronicles of Ixia, and I very much enjoyed that series too! In fact I even managed to feel kind of mad about the fact I hadn't read this review yet and so couldn't start Taste of Darkness (one of my weird reading rules that I've only ever broken for one series!) 

I love Avry, she's a complicated character. It's nice to have a character that doesn't feel an obligation towards their magic, instead Avry wants to use her magic and feels at home when she heals people, its actually a refreshing thing to read. Avry comes across as a people person, though she has her faults naturally and some people don't like her, but she seemed to make more friends in this book and I liked seeing that other side of her. 

Now I really liked the way that the POV was split between Avry's first person and Kerrick's third person. Because they weren't together for the vast majority of the book this allowed an insight into several other things that were happening in the book. It's led to some interesting theories on my part on how things will be resolved, though whether I'm right is another matter! 

Scent of Magic took me by surprise more than once and I love it when that happens! There were a couple of characters that surprised me, and the identity of Tohon's spy was a complete surprise, I hadn't even considered that. 

There were all the characters that I grew to love from book 1 in this, as well as some new ones, and Snyder didn't shy away from loss in this book either. It was engaging and I didn't want to put it down at all!