Wednesday, 12 October 2016

Mr Mysterious by JA Huss (#4 Mister)

Title: Mr Mysterious
Series: Mister (#4)
Author: JA Huss
From: Review Copy
Genre: Romance, Suspense
Release Date: 12th October 2016
Challenges: 2016 New Release Challenge2016 Prequel & Sequel Challenge (2 points)
Links: Goodreads - Amazon
Synopsis (from Goodreads): Paxton Vance isn’t as cryptic as he thinks. That broody nature and tough-guy exterior aren’t fooling me one bit. I know everything about him. I listen in on his most personal phone calls. I read his mail before he does. I even know what his mother got him for Christmas last year. You’re the man of my dreams, Paxton Vance. You just don’t know it yet. But don’t worry, I’ll remind you. I’m here to give you everything you need, before you know you need it. So don’t get defensive because I take a challenge seriously. You have to open up to someone, and that someone is me. Besides, you can’t stay Mr. Mysterious forever. Why play the game if you never want to win? 

Mr Mysterious is the fourth book in the Mister series though it can be read as a standalone. However there are characters from the previous books involved in the plot, as well as mentions made of the plots of previous books. Plus the series, and the author, are awesome and by not reading them all you'd be missing out on great books! This review is spoiler free. 

Shrikes! Everywhere Shrikes! Well okay three of them! Oliver is a Mister (his is the next and final book) but the heroine of this one was a Shrike too, Cindy (aka Cinderella, aka Baby Bomb) and there was some Ariel too. I loved the family dynamic that came through between those characters, and that from the very start of the book, Pax was worried about his friendship with Oliver because of his relationship with Cindy. 

I liked Cindy a lot, she was a little stalkerish but it soon grew on the reader (and Pax!) and once she let her guard down to Pax and acted like herself, she really grew as a character. It was also interesting seeing Spencer and Veronica (from the Rook and Ronin spin offs Bomb & Guns) from the eyes of a child. 

Pax wasn't quite what I expected, especially considering he is Mr Mysterious. He seemed to have less secrets than some of the other Misters (*cough*Weston I'm looking at you!*cough*) and actually once he started to trust someone he was seemingly transparent (but very protective), plus his relationship with his mother was really sweet!

Cindy and Pax were cute! At the beginning of their relationship, and then later on when they had alone time, I found myself just constantly smiling because of the way they talked to each other and interacted was just so sweet. I loved the two of them together. 

Now the twist...which obviously I can't say anything about really because it would be a spoiler. I wasn't expecting it and I had to re-read it 4 times for it to actually sink in, at which point I think my heart broke for multiple characters at once. I'm still not 100% sure I've fully processed what it means. 

More was revealed in this book about who it was that was causing the Misters issues (though Tori did annoy me ever so slightly with her insistance on who the mastermind was) and while the mastermind themselves hasn't been revealed, I do have a back up crazy theory about it. In true Huss style all the little bits have slotted together a little bit and I'm excited for Oliver's book for it all to be revealed! 

This was a fantastic read, as always with Huss, and once I'd started reading I didn't want to put it down!