Saturday, 24 September 2016

Snow White and the Vampire by Marina Myles

Title: Snow White and the Vampire
Series: The Cursed Princes (#2)
Author: Marina Myles
From: Netgalley
Genre: Paranormal, Romance, Fairytale Retelling
Release Date: 19th December 2013
Challenges: 2016 Blogger Shame2016 Netgalley & Edelweiss ChallengeMy TBR List Meme
Links: Goodreads - Amazon
Synopsis (from Goodreads): Fog And Fascination. Alba Spencer thought her past in Romania and the dark magic that haunted it was behind her forever. She is one of the first female barristers now, safe in London. But London has its dark side, too. A man called the Ripper stalks the midnight streets. There are rumors that her hated stepmother has found her again, suggestions that the nightmares of her childhood are returning. And with them appears the cursed Gypsy boy she once loved, grown into a man more seductive and more terrifying than she ever could have dreamed...Dimitri Grigorescu has become a surgeon, a gentleman—and a vampire. The lusts that drive his body are scarcely under control, and even he does not truly know what he is capable of. To fight evil and confusion, Alba must rely only on her wits—and a desire that overwhelms her doubts…

Snow White and the Vampire is the second book in the Cursed Princes series, however I don't think you necessarily have to have read the first book in the series as I didn't, I'm also not 100% that the characters from book one made an appearance, so I think it's pretty safe to read this as a standalone. 

I'm still not all that sure how I want to sum up my feelings about Snow White and the Vampire, my main feeling is that it was okay. I wanted to know how things ended but I wasn't massively invested in the characters. I'm not sure what it was that actually led to that but that's how I ended up feeling. 

The two main character, Alba and Dimitri were both intelligent people, Alba was a trainee barrister and Dimitri was a surgeon. I think is where problem the first arrises. Alba was a woman in Victorian England trying to become the first female barrister, and yet no one really seemed to stand in her way and everyone just treated her like it was normal. Now I have no problem with what she was trying to do, it just seemed a little odd that it wasn't made a big deal of. 

The Jack the Ripper sub plot was probably my favourite part of the book for the most part. Until the very end. When there's a mystery going on I try to put the pieces together to come up with the guilty party, which I did. In fact I had a number one suspect and a back up suspect...except neither of them were actually guilty and there hadn't really been any clues to who it really was until Alba came face to face with him. 

The Snow White element of the story was pretty mild, in fact it took me about 10% to even pick up on it at all. There were moments where the evil Queen (aka Alba's stepmother who she faked her death for to get away from) drugged Alba and there was a situation surrounding an apple, however ultimately if you'd taken out the Snow White portion of the plot then the book would still have worked. 

I liked that this book didn't just focus on the two main characters, there were other players involved as well (though it did take me a fair 80% of the book to realise that Mrs. T's seven daughters were in fact Alba's version of the seven dwarves). 

This book had enough to keep me interested but didn't blow me away.