Sunday, 25 September 2016

Frost by E Latimer

Title: Frost
Author: E Latimer
From: Netgalley
Genre: Fantasy, Legends
Release Date: 25th August 2015
Challenges: 2016 Netgalley & Edelweiss ChallengeSummer COYER 20162016 Blogger Shame
Links: Goodreads - Amazon
Synopsis (from Goodreads): Megan Walker’s touch has turned to ice. She can’t stop the frost, and the consequences of her first kiss are horrifying. When her new powers attract attention, Megan finds herself caught up in an ancient war between Norse giants. One side fuelled by a mad queen’s obsession and an ancient prophecy about Ragnarök, the other by an age-old grudge. Both sides believe Megan to be something she’s not. Both sides will stop at nothing to have her. Fire or frost. It’s an impossible decision, but she’ll have to act soon, because the storm is coming.

In the interest of complete honesty I came close to DNFing Frost, not because it was bad but because I ended up feeling a little bored. I didn't really connect with the main character, Megan, and that made the book a little slow going for me. The concept was interesting though, and I feel like a sequel would have good potential after the ending of this book. 

I liked that there was a central female friendship in this one, and that Megan would do anything to protect and stand up for her friend. On the one hand the bond between Megan and Charlotte did seem to spring up rather quickly, but after the incident at the hotel, I actually thought their bond worked well. 

There was kind of a love triangle, though I don't think there was any doubt which way Megan really went for it (though I'm surprised that Amora didn't have more influence the other way, a comment that will make no sense if you haven't read the book!) In this case though the guys are complete opposites, down to being ice and fire kind of thing. 

The Jotun (giants of the Frost or Fire variety) were interesting and I liked the way that their society was described. It's less than perfect finish made it an interesting part of the story, though I honestly did kind of expect there to be a little bit more mythology and legends coming into play, but again this could become more apparent in a sequel. 

Parts of Frost were interesting, and I kept reading hoping that something would really grab my attention. While not a bad read, it just lacked a little something for me.