Thursday, 11 August 2016

The Special Ones by Em Bailey

Title: The Special Ones
Author: Em Bailey
From: Netgalley
Genre: Thriller
Release Date: 28th July 2016
Challenges: 2016 Netgalley & Edelweiss Challenge, 2016 New Release Challenge, Summer COYER 2016
Links: Goodreads - Amazon
Synopsis (from Netgalley): Gone Girl meets Seed – a heart-racing YA thriller set in a cult that you makes question everything you thought you knew . . .Esther is one of the four Special Ones. They are chosen by him to live under his protection in a remote farmhouse, and they must always be ready to broadcast their lives to eager followers in the outside. But on renewal day when he decides that a new Esther, Harry, Lucille or Felicity must take their place, the old ones disappear – forever. The new ones don’t always want to come, but soon they realise. Until one day Esther has a realisation of her own – and it changes everything.

I was a little cautious going into The Special Ones because of how underwhelmed I felt having read Shift. In fact if I hadn't already got The Special Ones on my Kindle then I probably wouldn't have ever read it. However I am so glad I did because this was brilliant. It had everything that I felt Shift was missing and more, definitely worth the read. 

The one thing that held it back slightly was the introduction of dual POV about half way through. The content was absolutely great, and I thought that it really added to the story and the suspense as a whole, however there was no way of knowing whose POV it was without reading into the chapter. It didn't stop me enjoying it but was slightly jarring. 

The book was told in two parts, not that I can really say more about that without giving anything away, but during the second part of the book I found myself coming up with several different theories about Him and who he was...I was wrong all of the time, but I was super involved in the plot. 

It was really strange having Esther's POV in some ways. Bailey wrote it in such a way that the reader knew that Esther wasn't her real name, and that life wasn't her own, but she never actually thought of her name or her past. It was really well done. Similarly the way the author addressed the second part of the book also worked well with how the characters adapted to what was happening. 

There was definitely a good amount of suspense in this one too. I felt involved and invested in the story.