Tuesday, 16 August 2016

Monstress Vol 1: Awakening by Marjorie Liu & Sana Takeda

Title: Monstress Vol 1: Awakening
Series: Monstress (#1)
Author: Marjorie Liu
Illustrator: Sana Takeda
From: Netgalley (individual issues)
Genre: Graphic Novel, Fantasy
Release Date: 19th July 2016
Challenges: 2016 Netgalley & Edelweiss Challenge, 2016 New Release Challenge, Summer COYER 2016
Links: Goodreads - Amazon 
Synopsis (from Goodreads): Set in an alternate matriarchal 1900’s Asia, in a richly imagined world of art deco-inflected steampunk, MONSTRESS tells the story of a teenage girl who is struggling to survive the trauma of war, and who shares a mysterious psychic link with a monster of tremendous power, a connection that will transform them both. 

While my review is for the collection (issues 1-6) I did read them individually and not all together. I really liked the individual covers though, they are definitely worth checking out! The only reason I picked up Monstress is because I enjoyed White Sand (Brandon Sanderson) more than I thought I would earlier this year. However it is definitely worth noting that this is only the second ever graphic novel I've read. 

I really liked the artwork, I thought it was absolutely beautiful and captured the culture (Asian 1900s) that it was meant to perfectly. The characters' clothing in particular was incrediably detailed and it made reading this a pleasure. There was also a lot of detail went into the characters themselves, mainly the Arcanics (hope I spelt that right!) which included parts of their bodies as those of animals. 

While Maika was the main character, and a suitably tortured one at that, I couldn't help but love one of her sidekicks (for want of a better word!), Kippa. Not only was she important to the story, mainly to show Maika's more humane side, but she was adorable as both a child and a part fox. 

I loved that the majority of the characters were female. That also included the antagonists, and I liked that women were shown as being just as ruthless as their male counterparts. Saying that there were still a few mysteries that need solving! (That is unless I missed something) and I found myself forming theories as I read.

I'm slowly getting into Graphic Novels, and I know that I'll definitely be reading more of this series!