Tuesday, 14 June 2016

Dance of Shadows by Yelena Black

Title: Dance of Shadows
Series: Dance of Shadows (#1)
Author: Yelena Black
From: My Bookshelf
Genre: Paranormal, Ballet
Release Date: 12th February 2013
Challenges: 2016 Blogger Shame 
Links: Goodreads - Amazon

15 year old Vanessa has just started at an elite ballet school, the same school where her sister disappeared when she was Vanessa's age. While Vanessa doesn't have her sister's passion for ballet, she is talented, and that talent gets her noticed. She, along with her friends, realise that there's something amiss at their school but can't put their fingers on what. Add into that that the school hotty, Zep and the mysterious Justin trying to warn her away.

I'm still not totally sure how I felt about Dance of Shadows. On the one hand I did keep reading til I finished, on the other hand for most of the book I was on a plane without my kindle and with a dead phone, so that doesn't necessarily say that much. I kept being anxious for this book to turn out really good and have a twist, so I couldn't help but be a little disappointed when nothing like that happened.

While it was clear from the prologue that there was something paranormal going on, it took so long to actually kick in in the plot that I found myself hoping the story would go in a more thriller like whodoneit direction. Honestly I think that would have worked out better given the plot line up until then.

The romance between Vanessa and Zep fell a bit flat for me. And not just because I found it a little weird with Vanessa being 15 and him 18 (or at least that seems about right given he was a senior and that was three years above Vanessa). It wasn't so much the age gap as me being suspicious of why he'd want to date someone younger. Add to that they didn't seem to have much chemsitry and it just didn't work for me. The chemistry between Vanessa and Justin was a bit better, but I still didn't 100% buy into it.

The concept itself, when it was revealed in the finale, was interesting and certainly could have been done brilliantly. Unfortunately I didn't feel like the excecution was quite strong enough. It was a real shame, especially as the cover is so pretty! (I'm pretty sure that's why I picked up this book in the first place, as shallow as that sounds.)