Thursday, 21 April 2016

Cleanskin by Val McDermid

Title: Cleanskin
Author: Val McDermid
From: Amazon
Genre: Crime
Release Date: 18th May 2006
Challenges: 2016 Read the Books You Buy 
Links: Goodreads - Amazon

When the crime boss that Andy Martin has been watching for years, turns up dead in a suspected suicide, it sets him on a course to try to discover exactly who is to blame for his death, and the trail of corpses that seems to have appeared in it's wake. When another body turns up it causes both a shock and a breakthrough that even Andy couldn't see coming.

I wasn't sure what I thought about a short crime book, especially when the suspense is a big part of it and that takes time to create. However I have enjoyed all of the McDermid books I've read in the past so it made sense for me to give this one a go when it came down to just £0.79, and I'm glad I did!

While Cleanskin didn't go into quite the amount of detail that McDermid reaches in her other books, it's still a solid read and keeps you turning pages and wanting to know exactly who was to blame for what. While I think one of the twists was fairly obvious, the other took me completely by surprise.

I liked Andy as a narrator. I was actually kind of surprised to have a first person narrative at all, but it actually worked well for a quick read as it was easier to keep things quiet from the reader. It also humanised his character a lot because the reader got to see his response to the things going on around him.

This was a good quick crime book, but I definitely think I want a longer one next!