Saturday, 26 March 2016

Queen of Broken Hearts by Jennifer Recchio

Title: Queen of Broken Hearts
Series: Stone Throwers (#1)
Author: Jennifer Recchio
From: Netgalley
Genre: Contemporary
Release Date: 3rd Apil 2013
Challenges: 2016 Netgalley & Edelweiss Challenge, 2016 Blogger Shame, My TBR List Meme
Links: Goodreads - Amazon

Birdie Anders is the Queen of Hearts, and the Queen of her high school. But keeping her followers in line is a full time occupation and she's found that she's lost the true friends she once had, Annabelle and Pak. Retreating to her safe place (for pizza!) she meets Sam, someone completely different from the life she lives and she soon finds herself revaluating the things she does...

I'm really not that sure how I feel about Queen of Broken Hearts still. It was a quick read and I do think that therein lies the problem; if it had been a bit longer then I genuinely think that it could have been a lot more enjoyable. I think there was a lot going on and because of that some of the book felt a llittle bit rushed.

I did like that the main character was a bit of a b*tch, and not only that but she owned that for most of the book. She realised what she was doing was wrong but did it anyway. It added an interesting dilemma to the book, though there wasn't nearly as much focus on the con artist element as the blurb seems to imply (I read it after finishing the book).

There were a lot of strange names in the book, and I am still a little  bit confused about what Birdie's name really was...other than nowhere near the weirdest. Names included Songbird, Lightbulb and Painkiller. Which I believe was meant to be a humourous take on celebrities naming their children (the book was set in a private school in Hollywood).

There was enough in this book to keep me interested but I do think that it could have been so much better!

MyTBRList