Friday, 18 March 2016

Burning Ultimatum by Aubrey Parker

Title: Burning Ultimatum
Series: Trevor's Harem (#4)
Author: Aubrey Parker
From: Amazon
Genre: Romance
Release Date: 15th March 2016
Challenges: 2016 Read the Books You Buy, 2016 New Release Challenge, 2016 Prequel & Sequel Challenge (12 points)
Links: Goodreads - Amazon

*May contain spoilers for the rest of the series*

Feeling betrayed after finding the man she loves with the woman she thought was her best friend, Bridget feels more determined than ever to win the contest even if she doesn't know the rules. Daniel has done everything possible for Bridget and yet he can't tell her, even if it would clear his name. But as more players become involved it becomes a challenge to keep everything straight.

I was struggling to think of a way to properly express my love of this series and then it hit me. So this book has been on pre-order since before my whole Lent Book Buying Embargo and got delivered to my kindle today (15th March). I'd finished it by 11:30am. That's how engaging and captivating the story is. I even left a book half finished to read it! I think that about sums it up!

The ending to this book, and the series was perfect. And by ending I mean before the epilogue (because that was just the icing on the cake!) However the ending wasn't quite what I expected. It had more of the sweet factor than originally thought and yet it worked perfectly for Bridget and Daniel.

Actually the whole thing took me a bit by surprise. From the first book onwards this series has been taking me by surprise and this one was no different. In some ways parts of the plot are a little predictable but Parker does them in such a way that it goes hand in hand with the unexpected and keeps the reader on their toes.

I love Bridget. And I think the reason I like her so much is because she is flawed. She's not the perfect female character, she doesn't fit the mould, but that makes her that bit more real. Her feelings and her reactions all come across as genuine and I think as a female reader you can slot yourself into her shoes easily.

Daniel has really grown on me throughout the series. At the end of the last book I was almost certain that what Bridget thought was true actually wasn't and that was solely based on what I thought of Daniel. And this book proved me right. Again he's not the perfect character but it's his flaws that make him loveable.

I loved how Parker included Science, particularly psychology, in her book and how it was through Daniel that she did this. I also loved the fact that she took the time to inform the reader of exactly what was real at the end of the book and what was exaggerated ever so slightly to make a good story. I thought the afterward really helped in that regard.

I loved this series. And I hope to read more from Parker soon!