Friday, 19 February 2016

Shadows of Self by Brandon Sanderson

Title: Shadows of Self
Series: Mistborn (#5)
Author: Brandon Sanderson
From: Netgalley
Genre: Fantasy, YA, Western
Release Date: 5th October 2015
Challenges: Winter COYER 2015-2016, 2016 Reading Assignment, 2016 Netgalley & Edelweiss Challenge, 2016 Prequel & Sequel Challenge (2 points)
Links: Goodreads - Amazon

*May contain spoilers for previous books in the series*

When a group of the most prolific and uncatchable criminals is found dead, Wax and Wayne, along with new constable Marasi, are thrown into another investigation. Wax thinks his Uncle may be behind it once more but soon things are revealed that make him less sure and make the guilty party that much harder to catch...

I'll start with how much I loved the fact that Shadows of Self paid so much homage to the characters I loved from the original trilogy! The Alloy of Law did it a little bit but this one did it so much more. I'm tied for my favourite moment of links to the past, it's either Wax thinking that he wouldn't like Breeze at all or it's Soonie Cubs. The latter had me giggling away!

While you can read Shadows of Self without reading the original Mistborn trilogy (because that mainly serves as background for this later series) you can't really read it without reading The Alloy of Law. Not just because the latter book introduces Wax, Wayne and Marasi as characters, but because there are events in Shadows of Self that just wouldn't make much sense without the previous events.

I love the way that Sanderson has combined technology with magic and that his world hasn't just stood still (though Harmony was getting frustrated that the world hadn't moved on as fast as he thought it should). I don't think I've ever read something that crosses between urban fantasy, epic fantasy and western, and I can't imagine that many authors could pull it off.

It was also good to have some characters returning, and I don't want to say too much because it gives some of the plot away, but one of my favourite sidekicks returned and I loved him just as much as I originally did! Plus there's the God situation, which is interesting as well as showing some character progression on the part of the character (sorry saying more would give away a major plot point of the origianl trilogy).

I still think that Wax needs to wake up a bit and sort out his love life, though I found myself warming to his fiancée, Steris, in this book. However I do think one of the other characters may be warming to her as well, so maybe we'll see where that one goes!

I was definitely wrong to wait so long to read the second lot of Mistborn books, but I'm catching up now!