Saturday, 20 February 2016

How to be Single by Liz Tuccillo

Title: How to be Single
Author: Liz Tuccillo
From: Tesco (Supermarket)
Genre: Romance, Contemporary
Release Date: 10th June 2008
Challenges: 2016 Read the Books You Buy Challenge
Links: Goodreads - Amazon

The question all singletons dread answering: why are they still single. When Julie's friend Georgia wants a girls night out after getting divorced, she gets together her single friends, depressed Ruby, eco-concious Serena, and ex-lawyer-turned-professional-dater Alice, to have some fun. The events of that night leads to Julie embarking on a round the world trip to investigate singledom in different cultures around the world, while Serena embarks on a life of spirtuality as a swarmi and Georgia goes a little crazy in search for a new man...

So...the reason I read How to be Single: my friend was joking about me going to see the film (and me having been single so long that I already know how to be single) and when I saw the book I knew I'd have to read it to see what it was all about. So when I passed the book (unusually for me it was a paperback which took me longer to read anyway) on to her and she asked me how I found it I actually had to sum up my thoughts on a book in one sentence (which let's face it is a difficult one for me). And all I could say was that I had read better books and I had read worse ones.

There were some great moments in this book, most notably the sense of female friendship. Even though Julie's friends didn't actually know each other very well (they all knew her from different places) with Julie away they all pulled together and were there for each other and I liked that. I liked how they weren't instantly best friends either, but how events brought them together.

I also found moments of this book funny, and it was really interesting when Julie was talking to women from different cultures and countries about what it was like to be single there. It wasn't something I'd really thought about before that.

There was a slightly depressing note to some of the scenes though. I mean the characters are all 15 years older than I am but honestly by the end of the book I was despairing for all single women, which isn't really what I want a book to do. The love affairs in the book were all realistic, but lets face it...sometimes you want to live in a make believe world!