Thursday, 7 January 2016

Gone by Christine Kersey

Title: Gone
Series: Parallel Trilogy (#1)
Author: Christine Kersey
From: Amazon
Genre: Sci-fi, Dystopian, YA
Release Date: 25th March 2013
Challenges: Winter COYER 2015-2016
Links: Goodreads - Amazon

After an argument with her Mom about a new phone, Morgan decides to run away. Stuck in the wood she comes across a hut, and when the door collapses under snow she escapes through a tunnel. But the world she emerges into isn't the same one she left and she finds herself in a world where everyone is obsessed with their weight and being even a little overweight is illegal. Morgan sets off to find her family and then to find a way back home, with a new appreciation for the people around her.

I'm trying to work out exactly how I feel about Gone. On the one hand I did feel compelled to read on and find out what happened to Morgan next. On the other hand having finished the book I don't feel particularly compelled to continue the story, even though it ended on a cliffhanger.

The book is across between a dystopia and a parallel universe sci-fi, the latter being a genre I don't really read. It was an interesting mix and worked well in some respects. Though I was surprised that Morgan's (understandable) questioning didn't get her into more trouble.

The dystopian elements were interesting, the weigh-ins and essentially forced fat-camps, but at times I felt a little uncomfortable as a reader with all the comments about weight and the obsession that the people around Morgan seemed to have. I liked that the book showed the consequences of breaking the regimes rules though, it was an interesting touch.

I couldn't really work out the romance in the book either. Morgan definitely had a love interest; Conner. Saying that I couldn't really work out where it was going. On the other hand considering that the two of them were only 16 (I'm assuming on Conner's part as his age was never actually stated) their relationship did seem age appropriate.

This was an interesting read, but I still do have some mixed feelings about it.