Sunday, 3 January 2016

Damn, Girl. That Sucks. by Mary Kate Kopec

Title: Damn, Girl. That Sucks.
Author: Mary Kate Kopec
From: Review Copy
Genre: Comedy, Romance
Release Date: 14th December 2015
Challenges: 2015 New Release Challenge, Winter COYER 2015-2016
Links: Goodreads - Amazon

Ivy's life seems to be going well...a promotion on the horizon, somewhere to live and a great boyfriend. Until the week from hell arrives and her whole life comes crashing down around her. But before Ivy knows it she finds herself with new friends, a new guy and even a new job, one that could put her back on track to being what she always wanted to be; a playwright. Suddenly Ivy finds that things going wrong can lead to things going really right...

I loved this book. I've read some of Kopec's work before (her Love AND suspense series) and enjoyed them, but this was something else completely. It was lighthearted and fun to read and was just what I wanted to read around Christmas.

Ivy is a really normal character. She comes across as normal and has normal style thoughts. Things don't quite go to plan for her and she reacts accordingly. And it was the humaness of her reactions that really sold her to me as a main character. I didn't feel she rushed decisions or bounced back too quick, it all seemed just right for her character and the story.

I laughed more than once in the book, and that was good, but one of the things that really made it for me was the inclusion of girl-friends. They were new to Ivy's life so the reader got to know them at the same time, but I loved the fact that I could feel like they were there for Ivy. The bond was exactly what it should have been.

There was also the romance between Ivy and Dan, which had some forbidden elements to it. Dan was such a sweet guy and he did lovely things for Ivy, and on top of that their chemistry was great. I could really buy into their relationship.

I loved this book, it was a feel good read that was for sure and there's no doubt that it achieved that!