Thursday, 24 December 2015

Sugar Skulls by Lisa Mantchev & Glenn Dallas

Title: Sugar Skulls
Author: Lisa Mantchev & Glenn Dallas
From: Netgalley
Genre: Dystopia, New Adult
Release Date: 10th November 2015
Challenges: 2015 Netgalley & Edelweiss Challenge, 2015 New Release Challenge
Links: Goodreads - Amazon

Vee has one thing that keeps her in Cyrene; her voice. Only problem is if left unchecked she can blow the system and end up having her memory wiped. Micah is off the grid after an overdose, and he is determined to discover who was responsible for providing the applejack and killed his friends. While Vee is preforming their eyes meet across the room and they are instantly intrigued by each other, causing Vee to push her superiors further and Micah to keep searching her out...

I wasn't really sure what to expect from Sugar Skulls and it actually took me a little while to actually get into it. I'm not really sure why, though I guess it could have been that I wasn't actually as in the mood for a dystopia as I thought. However, once I got into the second part of the story I found it much easier reading and was enjoying it massively.

I liked Vee and Micah's relationship. They both had pasts and they both had to move past and they were allowed to do that which was good. They learnt to trust each other and there were a lot of sweet moments between them. I also really liked the fact that Micah trusted Vee to be able to look after herself. She didn't have to do anything to gain that he was just willing to give it.

The dystopia was fascinating. The idea was that young people drank, did drugs, had sex etc and the energy was harvested as a power source. I wasn't sure about it at first but it grew on me and as the plot became more intricate it felt more developed and it really started working for me.

I enjoyed Sugar Skulls, I'm glad I stuck it out because once I got to the right place it started speeding by. Also I thought that the end tied up well. It could be a stand alone or it could be part of a series. It felt flexible.