Saturday, 12 December 2015

Sidekick Returns by Auralee Wallace

Title: Sidekick Returns
Series: Sidekick (#2)
Author: Auralee Wallace
From: Netgalley
Genre: Superheros, Sci-fi, Romance
Release Date: 1st December 2015
Challenges: 2015 New Release Challenge, 2015 Netgalley & Edelweiss Challenge, 2015 Prequel & Sequel Challenge (2 points)
Links: Goodreads - Amazon

Having saved the day, the last thing that Bremy St James expects is to be dumped by her mentor, superhero Dark Ryder, nor for her almost-boyfriend Pierce to keep trying to break it off with her. With her life seeming to fall apart around her, its all that Bremy can do to keep things together, and never mind the fact that she has to figure out what her father is up to too...

The voice that Wallace created for Bremy is spot on fantastic! So much so that I feel that's the first thing that I should mention it first. Bremy was amusing and often had inappropriate thoughts and I found myself laughing aloud several times (and getting funny looks cause I was in public at the time). More than that though I think that Bremy is such a real character that you can't help but like her...even when she's being an idiot!

Everything always seems so together for superheroes, which is another reason that I loved Sidekick and Sidekick Returns. Bremy wants to help people, and she tries to be a superhero, but often she does things accidentally, or makes things worse for herself. This is the journey to being a superhero and I really think that comes through.

One of the main focuses was actually on the relationships that Bremy has cultivated since leaving her pampered life behind. She's a genuine person which led her to make genuine friendships with people who could be considered weird (Queenie and Bart I'm looking at you!) and the relationships between them really felt real.

Similarly, Bremy's romantic relationship with Pierce felt real (though slightly muddied with the reappearance of her past). They had issues that normal couples have and have to work through them, which didn't always work. For the two of them it just seemed right, though I found the end for them a little sad.

I really enjoyed Sidekick Returns, and I hope there is more coming from Bremy & co.!