Sunday, 13 December 2015

Mistress by Magick by Laura Navarre

Title: Mistress by Magick
Series: The Magick Trilogy (#3)
Author: Laura Navarre
From: Netgalley
Genre: Historical Romance, Fantasy
Release Date: 20th January 2014
Challenges: 2015 Netgalley & Edelweiss Challenge
Links: Goodreads - Amazon

Ruined and made to spy for her country in exchange for the life of her son, Jayne Boleyn finds herself at the heart of the launch of the Spanish Armada. When her normal trick of seduction is turned against her by the notorious pirate, Lord Calyx. Normally able to keep men at arm's length, she is surprised to find herself falling into his bed, and once there she finds it difficult to want to be anywhere else. As their loyalties are tested the begin to learn more about what is going on, surprising even themselves with their choices.

Right...so I'm not really sure how I feel about this book still. I did consider giving up on it a couple of times, but then didn't (the last time I almost gave up I figured that I was already more than half way I may as well finish it). The worst thing is that I can't quite put my finger on what it was that made me consider DNF-ing, maybe I wasn't actually in the mood for this kind of story or something like that.

I found that in some places the story just dragged a bit, and generally those bits seemed to be the ones related to Camelot and that subplot. Now I think that could be that I haven't read the other books in the series, so I've missed something, but for me those didn't hold my attention that much.

The romance between Calyx and Jayne was strong. There was never a point that I didn't think they'd end up together, though there were a couple of times that I found myself wondering how they would actually pull it back. The sex scenes were a little more descriptive in places than I had expected, but I didn't think that was necessarily a bad thing, it wasn't the main prose of the story after all.

There was a little bit of politics involved in the story, though maybe not as much as I would have liked. I think because Jayne was a spy and Calyx was part of the command I expected a little more than the ship's sabotage I got, but that could have been my expectations more than anything else.

I did like how Jayne and Calyx's pasts were revealed though. It was especially interesting seeing where an author thought the Mary Boleyn line would have gone. This was an interesting read, though I have strongly mixed feelings about it.