Monday, 23 November 2015

True Calling by Siobhan Davis

Title: True Calling
Series: True Calling (#1)
Author: Siobhan Davis
From: Netgalley
Genre: Sci-fi, Dystopian
Release Date: 28th January 2015 (2nd Edition)
Challenges:  2015 Netgalley & Edelweiss Challenge, Online Book Club Meme
Links: Goodreads - Amazon

Ariana Skyee has been dreading the day that the Calling came. Every 17 year old on Novo has to participate in the Calling, where they are each given a list of 10 people who they can date. At the end of the Calling they have to be engaged, married before they're 18 and have three children before 22. Ariana hates the idea of the Calling, but when she discover Cal Remus is on her list things start to look up.

I'm not really sure where to start with my feelings on True Calling. I enjoyed reading it and found myself wanting to know how it ended, but I also felt that some of the plot devices used were a little bit of a rehash of other dystopian fiction. It made it a little predictable for me, but I did enjoy it none the less.

I loved the romance between Cal and Ariana. It felt like they were 17 and they were just discovering how to love and about relationships. It wasn't all plain sailing for them and that made their relationship stronger. They also had parents to deal with as well as the authorities which added another level of complications for them.

Just going to get this out there though; I didn't like Zane. I didn't find his part of the narration nearly as compelling as Ariana's, but there was something else that I just didn't like about him. Maybe it is my tendency to take sides in love triangles but it was definitely something!

I loved the fact that the dystopian society was split over two planets. I felt that that did give True Calling a different edge. I thought that the way in which the characters were fighting against the government on two fronts also worked well and the links between the two were definitely there.

I'm definitely intrigued by where True Calling will go next, and I love Ari and Cal together.