Friday, 27 November 2015

Touch My Heart by Paloma Beck

Title: Touch My Heart
Series: Heart & Soul (#2)
Author: Paloma Beck
From: Netgalley
Genre: Romance, BDSM-lite
Release Date: 25th October 2013
Challenges: 2015 Reading Assignment, 2015 Netgalley & Edelweiss Challenge, 2015 Prequels & Sequels Challenge (2 points)
Links: Goodreads - Amazon

Ever since he first saw Aubrey, William has been smitten. Though he won't admit it to his friends, all he really wants is a wife and someone to share the BDSM lifestyle with. But he realises that he has to go slowly with Aubrey, and as he breaks down her barriers he learns new things about her that only draw them closer together.

I've read Paloma Beck's books before and really enjoyed them, but something about Touch My Heart frustrated me a little bit. All through William's narrative I thought that there were a few moments where he would fixate on something and repeat it several times within a chapter where it wasn't needed. It was something minor, and maybe I was just in that kind of mood where I was picking up on things like that but it did detract some enjoyment from the book.

I don't read many books from a male point of view (whether that is just because they are fewer or something I'm not sure) but I didn't really think there was much difference with William. I was just reading his world and it didn't matter that he was male. What was slightly different was that it was from the POV of the dominant, which I wasn't convinced worked quite so well in my opinion.

I think I left it too long between reading Hold My Hand and Touch My Heart because I found it quite difficult to remember the plot points (and the books happen more or less simultaneously) which is actually quite unusual for me. So I was glad that this book did let me learn about the characters all over again.

The thing that I really did like about Touch My Heart though was the fact that William's friends and parents got a look in, and he was actually quite open with how he felt about them. I like seeing more to characters like this.