Monday, 2 November 2015

The Blue by Scott Kelly

Title: The Blue
Author: Scott Kelly
From: Amazon
Release Date: 20th December 2012
Genre: Contemporary
Challenges: N/A
Links: Goodreads - Amazon 

When failed artist, Derek, crashes his car into an oncoming van, he accidentally kills a family of three and leaves himself brain damaged. Unable to recognise the faces of anyone around him, regardless of if he loves them like his parents and ex-wife, Natalie, or fears them, like the Brother of the man he killed. Kept in the dark about everything except what his lawyer tells him, he faces trail and blame for the deaths. Though in the process of learning to cope with his face blindness, he discovers some things about himself too.

The Blue was one of those books that was an impulse one click when it came up as free (thanks Bookbub). I thought it looked interesting and so picked it up. And I am so glad that I did. The Blue is like nothing I have ever read, part thriller, part look into the concept of human guilt. It was fascinating and really made me want to keep reading, even at the uncomfortable moments.

At first I really wasn't sure what to make of Derek. As a main character I wanted to like him but found that at some points he wasn't a very likeable person, which ultimately made him more human. As the book went on I think he did get more likeable, especially when he was changing his life and exploring his guilt.

The concept of the book worked really well for me. There was the question hanging over Derek of just how guilty he was for causing the accident. Though at his trial the issue was resolved, I do think that there was still a bit of a question revolving around if he was drunk at the time. I do like that if he was or wasn't didn't really make a difference to how he felt.

His face blindness also added an interesting element to the story. As well as having to deal with his trial he had to deal with the fact that he couldn't recognise faces. This meant that he looked at people differently and actually helped him in some ways. The smaller cast of characters also helped with this.

This was a really good read. Totally different but it just made me want to read and read and read!