Sunday, 8 November 2015

House of Royals by Keary Taylor

Title: House of Royals
Series: House of Royals (#1)
Author: Keary Taylor
From: Netgalley
Genre: Urban Fantasy, Paranormal
Release Date: 21st June 2015
Challenges: 2015 New Release Challenge, 2015 Netgalley & Edelweiss Challenge
Links: Goodreads - Amazon

When Alivia finds out she has inherited a mansion from the father she never knew, she didn't expect to be thrown into such a dramatically different world. Not only does she have to get used to living in the South but she learns that Vampires are real, and that one day she is destined to become one. To make matters worse she finds herself attracted to a man that tried to kill her the first time they met, and is a sworn enemy of vampires everywhere...

MORE! Please! I finished this book and had to sit down for a moment. Somewhere between a quarter of the way through and the end it completely grabbed me and now has me anxious to find out what happens next. On top of that was the ending. Normally I'm not a massive fan on predictable twists, and with this one I guessed it right, but still felt really happy about it (though obviously it will make things complicated for the characters). There was also a chapter or two where I was devastated and second guessing myself too.

I loved the different take on Vampire lore that House of Royals seemed to take. Vampires are such a done subject now (says someone who writes about vampires herself) that having something that sets a book apart from the others is a good thing, and House of Royals certainly had that. I'm still curious, mostly about how the Bitten work as opposed to the Born (really most of the characters are Born so more is known about them).

Ian and Alivia's relationship was actually quite subtle. I mean there was no doubt that it was there, and the chemistry between them was great, but I meant that it wasn't thrown in the reader's face. There was way more going on than the two of them, though they were a strong part of the story.

I also liked the politics that was creeping in. It's clear that book 2 will be even stronger in that department, but I do enjoy a complex plot and I do find that they are quite difficult to find in the urban fantasy/paranormal genre sometimes.

I loved this book, and I'm sure I'll love the next one, I'm certainly looking forward to finding out!