Sunday, 29 November 2015

Eighteen (18) by JA Huss

Title: Eighteen (18)
Author: JA Huss
From: Amazon
Genre: Contemporary Romance/Erotica
Release Date: 18th November 2015
Challenges: 2015 New Release Challenge 
Links: Goodreads - Amazon

It's Shannon's 18th birthday, and she is having the day from hell. Having moved around a lot and then been forced to deal with the death of her sister and her new living situation, she now doesn't have the right credits to graduate. Despite having more than the required amount. When she discovers that her trigonometry catch up classes are with private tutor, Mateo, she is faced with a whole new set of problems. Technically he is her teacher, but that doesn't stop him wanting to get his hands on her...or her hands on him...

JA Huss does it again. Eighteen (18) is gritty and real at the same time as being hot and steamy. Shannon's life is far from perfect, and she gets by with an attitude of really not caring. But because it's first person narrative I found that as the book progressed she softened and showed more of her true nature. I loved the character development from her, it worked well with the rest of the story.

Similarly I thought Mateo developed well. I wasn't sure at the beginning if he could be anything other than the older guy in the story but again he progressed and grew. Though he had a rough side, as well as secrets, I thought that even early on he managed to show some softer and sweeter tendencies.

I felt a little unsure about just how Eighteen (18) was going to end until it did. The ending fit perfectly with the story, but I do think that it could have gone one of two ways. I think Sunday had a lot to do with that, and his growing friendship with Shannon made me question where he would end up in regards to her heart. But again I thought it worked out well.

I loved the added element of Olivia too. Having a child in the story really changed some of the dynamics, and I couldn't help but find myself worrying for the little girl and hoping that she was ok, all the while routing for Shannon because she was the only one who seemed to care.

I loved Eighteen (18) it was just as addictive as other Huss books, and I'm excited for more.