Monday, 26 October 2015

Tragic by JA Huss

Title: Tragic
Series: Rook and Ronin (#1)
Author: JA Huss
From: Amazon
Genre: Romance
Release Date: 20th May 2013
Challenges: N/A
Links: Goodreads - Amazon

Rook's life has never been easy, but she's finally got away only to find herself homeless and jobless with very little hope. That is until she finds herself an invitation to Antoine Chaput's studio for a photo shoot. As soon as Antoine sees her he knows that she's who he wants for his Tragic campaign, and male model Ronin just knows that he wants her. The attraction between Rook and Ronin only grows, but with misunderstandings and complications all over, being anything other than colleagues could be difficult...

I still feel that I was a little late to the JA Huss band wagon, especially with a lot of the bloggers I'd trust for recommendations loving her books. Everytime I read a Huss book I just get lost in the world and wish I'd discovered her sooner. The stories are so gritty and different that they really draw you in.

Rook and Ronin's story isn't all rainbows and love, but rather it is messy and complicated. Both the characters have pasts and I'm not convinced all of it has come out yet, but that makes them more real. Rook's desperation doesn't make her come across as cheap, in fact it made her come across as resourceful and strong, though I'm not sure that she would have agreed with that.

The chemistry between Rook and Ronin was off the page. No matter what they were doing they seemed to be unable to keep from touching each other and as soon as they did you could feel the sexual tension between them. I think that that is something that Huss can do amazingly. I couldn't fault that in the slightest.

I think there were a few touchy subjects in Tragic, namely Rook's previous abusive relationship, and the issues surrounding the modelling industry such as anorexia and drug use. I'm definitely interested in seeing where this story is going...not that I had any doubt that I would.

I really enjoyed Tragic, it was gritty and real with a real feeling relationship that I want to know more about.