Thursday, 29 October 2015

The Rain by Amos Cassidy

Title: The Rain
Series: Pendragon Chronicles (#1)
Author: Amos Cassidy
From: Review Copy
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Release Date: 29th October 2015 (Re-release)
Challenges: N/A
Links: Goodreads - Amazon

When Jake Winters' life falls apart he moves to a small seaside town. But not everything is as it seems. Soon Jake finds himself thrown into a world he didn't even know existed and along with his new friends, Greg, Ivy and Dean, he is destined to help rid the world of Beasts.

I have previously reviewed The Rain as The Rain: Rebirth (January 2014) and originally read as a beta reader.

I'm honestly at a bit of a loss as to where I want to begin with The Rain. To make matters worse I've read it before (twice I think!) and I still don't know which bit I want to start with. For me The Rain packed an emotional punch, and even though I knew the fate of one of the characters already, I still found myself tearing up when it was happening and hoping that it wouldn't. I'm pretty sure that happened in Aurora too, and therefore is just the authors trying to torture me!

I feel that I should mention that the main character, Jake, is gay. Honestly I don't think it really made a difference that that was the case, and there are no explicit sex scenes (though there is some implied sex in regards to various characters) so it really shouldn't make a difference, but I know some readers can be (unfortunately) funny about it.

I loved several of the side characters in the book, particularly Greg and Ivy. They had a slightly antagonistic (but friendly) relationship which worked well for me. I loved that they weren't romantically or physically attracted to each other but were just friends too, sometimes that's the best way for them to be.

There is still a bit of ambiguity about some of the lore surrounding the Rain and surrounding the Beasts, but I think that just adds to the anticipation of the next book, which I'm now really looking forward to! I enjoyed The Rain the first time around, but I think I enjoyed it even more this time!