Friday, 23 October 2015

Halloween Magic & Mayhem by Stella Wilkinson

Title: Halloween Magic & Mayhem
Series: Magic & Mayhem (#1) 
Author: Stella Wilkinson
From: Amazon
Genre: YA, Paranormal, Urban Fantasy
Release Date: 2nd January 2014
Challenges: Online Book Club (Meme)
Links: Goodreads - Amazon

Emily is coming up 16 and is excited about the big Halloween party happening. Everyone is going to be there, including the boy she's had a crush on for ages and apparently he's been asking about her. But other things are afoot, and when Emily is told that she is a witch and is soon coming into her powers her first response is to deny it. That is until she discovers the ghost that's been haunting her room...

Halloween Magic & Mayhem is a short read, and as such its not a difficult or challenging read. It's definitely young adult and there was a fun factor to it that I'm not too sure would have worked in a longer book (though I could be wrong it might work!) As a short though it was brilliant.

I loved that Emily felt like a  16 year old girl. I find the fact that most YA heroines seem older than they are quite frustrating at times, so I liked having one that was 16 and focused mostly on boys and parties, it just seemed far more in line with what 16 year olds actually act.

The magic element was also done well. Emily had no real idea about what  she was doing (and as such made mistakes) and that worked for me, it meant that she had problems she needed fixing but she didn't automatically know the answer.

I also liked that Emily's family was a quite large part of her story,  mainly her aunt. Though I did feel that there was more to it than just what appeared in this novella.

I enjoyed this read, it was short and fun!