Wednesday, 7 October 2015

Demon by my Side by Victoria Davies

Title: Demon by my Side
Series: Netherworld (#2)
Author: Victoria Davies
From: Netgalley
Genre: Romance, Paranormal, Urban Fantasy
Release Date: 17th February 2014
Challenges: 2015 Reading Assignment Challenge, 2015 Netgalley & Edelweiss Challenge
Links: Goodreads - Amazon

Hunter Darcy Snow has one aim in life; to protect humanity from the demons and spirits that are trying to destroy it. When demon, Jaral, offers a partnership she wants to say no, but something is stopping her and making her want to partner with the sexy demon. Up until meeting Darcy, Jaral has wanted to take the power from his father, but after meeting her something has changed, and all he can picture is a life with her in it...

Demon by my Side is exactly the kind of book that it's synopsis suggests; a kind of Romeo and Juliet style story about opposing sides falling for each other and having to make choices about what they truely want. And you know what, for me that worked, because that was the sort of easy read I wanted for my Sunday afternoon (Sunday 27th September if you're interested, it was really sunny and I enjoyed reading in the garden!).

There was plenty of romance in Demon by my Side and the two characters, Darcy and Jaral, had great chemistry together while still managing to maintain a sense of them not actually trusting each other. I liked that they didn't automatically start with the trust, and it took them a while to build it up, so even if there was a bit of insta-love (true mate let out card here) it was far more tolerable than the normal kind.

There was also plenty of action to keep the reader busy, and not just from Jaral. Darcy was just as strong and lethal in her fighting and wasn't afraid to show it. I do like a good strong female character, and Darcy was no exception. When it came down to it she worked with her partner rather than being protected by him.

When I picked Demon by my Side as a 2015 Reading Assignment book I didn't realise that it was part of a series, just that I'd enjoyed Victoria Davies' books before. I enjoyed this, and didn't feel like I was left behind in the story, but I am definitely going to check out book 1 given the chance!