Friday, 30 October 2015

Crown of Midnight by Sarah J Maas

Title: Crown of Midnight
Series: Throne of Glass (#2)
Author: Sarah J Maas
From: Netgalley
Genre: Fantasy
Release Date: 27th August 2013
Challenges: 2015 Reading Assignment Challenge, 2015 Netgalley & Edelweiss Challenge, 2015 Prequel & Sequel Challenge (2 points)
Links: Goodreads - Amazon

Now that she is the King's Champion, Celeana Sardothein is used as an assassin and spy, though what she hasn't let on is that she doesn't always do things quite as she is supposed to. With her friendship with the Prince, Dorian, still on rocky ground, and her attraction towards the Captain of the Guard, Chaol, only growing, her ties to the castle only grow. Until one dreadful night where she loses something very dear to her.

I have no real words for how to quite deal with the ending of Crown of Midnight, and who Celeana really is. Did not see that one coming (though it does make the title of book 4 make so much sense) and I'm now in the zone where I need to know more.

I loved the burgeoning romance between Celeana and Chaol, it was sweet and moving and I was absolutely gutted when the major twist in the story came around and everything blew up for them. Part of me really wants everything to work out for them and yet I find it difficult to see how. Fingers crossed though.

There was plenty of action in Crown of Midnight, especially when Celeana 'snapped' and went into major assassin mode. There were moments where I was seriously scared of a fictional character. I like having such a strong female protagonist like Celeana though, especially because she has such a complex character. There were moments where she was really girly and then those where she really wasn't.

I loved reading Crown of Midnight, I'm looking forward to reading more in the series and finding out where this is going!