Saturday, 26 September 2015

Magic Study by Maria V Snyder

Title: Magic Study
Series: Study Series (#2), Chronicles of Ixia (#2)
Author: Maria V Snyder
From: Amazon
Genre: Fantasy
Release Date: 1st October 2006
Challenges: 2015 Reading Assignment Challenge, 2015 Prequel & Sequel Challenge (2 points), My TBR List (September) Meme
Links: Goodreads - Amazon

Banished from Ixia, with the threat of execution over her head if she returns, Yelena travels to Sitia, where she can be trained in the arts of being a magician. On the way she rediscovers the family she lost as a child, and learns more about herself than she previously knew. When Yelena is drawn into the disappearance, torture and murder of young girls, her independence and determination drag her into the dangerous search for a killer.

Why do I wait so long between books! Especially when they're good ones like Magic Study! I remember really enjoying Poison Study, but for whatever reason it has taken me 18 months to read the next book in the series. Though I do have Fire Study on my physical book shelves, so hopefully I'll get onto that book soon.

I really like Yelena as a character, she isn't afraid of admitting her limitations, but at the same time she likes to think outside the box. The most obvious solution wasn't always the one that she went for and for the most part it worked. She was a highly independent character, and sometimes refusing to ask for help led to trouble. On the flip side she never seemed to be worried about asking Valek to help.

Valek and Yelena's relationship was really sweet. He risked his life just to see her, and the way they act around each other makes you forget that they're both able to kill with ease. Though when they were alone together they were sweet and very obviously into each other, when they needed to be all business they could be, and worked well together in that respect too.

I liked to see Yelena's budding relationships too, both with fellow students (particularly Dax), with her Mentor Irys (as well as some of the other Master Magicians) and with her family. Her relationship with her brother was particularly complex and I am looking forward to seeing where that goes.

One of the best relationships though was between Yelena and her horse Kiki. I loved Kiki, she didn't feel like a human character, she really felt like an animal character and I liked that. Because of Yelena's magic she could converse with Kiki and that added a real level.

I felt that there was also a lot of foreshadowing in Magic Study, and I really liked that. Its made me excited to read the next book in the series!

MyTBRList small