Thursday, 3 September 2015

Death's Lover by Marie Hall

Title: Death’s Lover
Series: Eternal Lovers (#1)
Author: Marie Hall
From: Amazon
Genre: Urban Fantasy, Paranormal, Romance
Release Date: 3rd September 2013
Links: GoodreadsAmazon

Eve and Michael are happily married and trying for a baby when life as they know it is changed for good. Victims of a hit and run, they are both marked for death, until Death, named Cian, can’t take Eve and breaks with the rules of his court. When the Morrigan finds out that Cian didn’t reap Eve’s soul it sets in motion a series of events that could lead to both Eve and Cian’s deaths. Cian can’t forget about the witch whose life he stayed, and he finds himself drawn back to her in a way he can’t describe…

I wasn’t too sure what to expect when I started Death’s Lover, I’ve read a fair few Marie Hall books and they’ve all been completely unique so that didn’t give me that much of a clue! Like her other books, Death’s Lover was unique, a true blending of reaper lore and urban fantasy.

I liked the fact that there was only the one place where werewolves, witches and vampires could live openly, and that it was a kind of beta test, and I liked the way that most of them seemed to care for the world around them. It made for an interesting setting, especially considering that they didn’t have to hide what they were.

The Reaper lore used was interesting, and I really liked the way that it also weaved into the Fae courts, that wasn’t something that I’ve seen before. I also liked that attention was paid to the little details, like how a reaoper’s hand reacts when a soul is ready to be reaped.

Death’s Lover did leave me wondering exactly what was going on with the higher powers in the story. They clearly had their own agenda but it was quite difficult to work out what that was at some points. I’m intrigued though and want to know more for sure!

The romance was quite a slow one. There was a fair bit of chemistry between Eve and Cian right from the start, but they were quite slow to act on it for several reasons, meaning that it wasn’t the main focus at most points, though the connection between them was the reason behind a lot of the plot.


I enjoyed Death’s Lover, it was different and entertaining.