Friday, 21 August 2015

The Moon Dwellers by David Estes

Title: The Moon Dwellers
Series: The Dwellers (#1)
Author: David Estes
From: Amazon
Genre: Dystopian, Young Adult
Release Date: 30th June 2012
Challenges: 2015 Reading Assignment Challenge, COYER Scavenger Hunt Challenge
Links: Goodreads - Amazon

Since Adele's parents were taken away as traitors she was separated from her sister and placed in the Pen, the name of the juvi prison. While there she meets Tawni and Cole, and with their help she plans to break out and save her family. Tristan is the son of the President, a once voted in but now hereditary position. On a trip to the Moon Realm he sees Adele, causing them both instant pain. Now they both have questions and they are determined to find the answers...

Having read Fire Country I thought I knew what to expect with one of Estes' books. I was right in some instances and wrong in others. The Moon Dwellers and Fire Country are very different stories but they still contain some of the same trademarks (after all the final book in both series is the same book!) mainly Estes' injection of humour into the story.

Adele was quite different from your 'normal' YA dystopian heroine, normally accidentally thrust into adventure and rebellion (or at least so it seems!) but to the contrary, Adele seems to take decisions and her life into her own hands. I liked having a heroine so determined to be herself.

I do still have questions though! I'm still not totally sure what was going on between Adele and Tristan (though to be fair I don't think they do either) and the mystery of who is looking out for Adele with the bombs (but I do have a theory on that).

The romance element in the book was minimal. There was an attraction and a building relationship between Adele and Tristan but it was subtle and wasn't the centre of the story, which I liked. After all there was far more going on than just their romance.

I really enjoyed The Moon Dwellers, my only regret is that it took me a while to read another Estes book!