Friday, 17 July 2015

The Cannibals by Cynthia D Grant

Title: The Cannibals
Author: Cynthia D Grant
From: Netgalley
Genre: YA
Release Date: 4th August 2015 (Re-Release)
Challenges: 2015 Netgalley & Edelweiss Challenge, COYER Scavenger Hunt 
Links: Goodreads - Amazon 

Tiffany Spratt is head Yell Leader and Senior at her school, and even if her boyfriend has been sent off to a camp for criminal minded teens, her senior year is looking up; not only has the most handsome guy she's ever seen just started school, but there is going to be movie filmed at her school! Tiffany focuses her life on becoming famous, if she isn't then she doesn't think she'll make a difference in the world, and the rest of her life slips away...

The Cannibals is one of those books that I read the description and saw the cover and thought it was a book I read while in school still. It was one I remembered enjoying so figured I'd re-read now that my reading is more 'serious'. I must say I still enjoyed The Cannibals but it didn't blow me away. It was a quick read though, and as far as YA goes I do think that it had the right message.

Rather than going for the 'true love' angle at the end of the book, there is more of a focus on Tiffany's growth. Though I would say that the ending is a happy one, I wouldn't say that it fits the traditional view of happily ever after, and I liked that as a part of the book.

The relationship between Campbell (the new guy) and Tiffany took on a new meaning when you know the twist, but I really enjoyed the way that it progressed between the two of them. And knowing how that would end made Tiffany's revelation to herself even more poignant.

I also liked the fact that Tiffany was a combination of smart and an idiot, she made some bad choices and focused on completely the wrong thing but she made the most of what she landed with. It was her growth through those choices that made her likeable as a character even if she was annoyingly shallow at times.

This was a quick read, and it was fun the second time around as well as the first, but don't expect too much depth!