Thursday, 30 July 2015

Simma by H S St Ours

Title: Simma
Series: Water Worlds (#3)
Author: H S St Ours
From: Review Copy
Genre: Dystopian, Young Adult
Release Date: 29th November 2013
Challenges: 2015 Reading Assignment Challenge, COYER Scavenger Hunt, 2015 Prequel & Sequel Challenge (2 points)
Links: Goodreads - Amazon

Simma has lived in the Tunnels her entire life, but now that her friend Sami has gone she isn't quite as satisfied as she was with the life. When the Judge makes moves to destroy Tee Two she ends up part of the rebellion against him; searching for the freedom for the towns of Reconstruction and the Five Tunnels. Supported by her old friends and by new friends too.

I don't know what went on while I was reading Simma but it just seemed to take me forever. It wasn't that it was a bad book, it was more that I just didn't get engrossed in it like I do other books. I think some of it could have been that it is so long since I read books 1 & 2 (Young Moon and Sami respectively).

The dystopian world is a rich one in the Water Worlds series, with several different levels of society. It was well constructed and complex, though I do think that to some extent that personally a fair few more choices than normal were available to some of the characters but in the context it worked.

Reading over my review of Sami I noticed that I commented on the language that was used in some places. St Ours uses slang quite a bit, but not always slang that is overly obvious. It was things like numbers and abbreviations of words. I didn't find it quite as frustrating as in the previous book but it still was quite present.

Simma wasn't a bad book, there was just something that didn't connect for me in it.