Sunday, 12 July 2015

Dancer of the Nile by Veronica Scott

Title: Dancer of the Nile
Series: The Gods of Egypt (#3)
Author: Veronica Scott
From: Netgalley
Genre: Historical Fiction, Romance
Release Date: 5th October 2013
Challenges: 2015 Netgalley & Edelweiss Challenge, COYER Scavenger Hunt
Links: Goodreads - Amazon

When dancer, Nima, is captured by Egypt's enemies she puts all the skills she's ever amassed to use to save herself and her fellow prisoner Kamin from their captors. Trekking across the dessert, obstacles are continually thrown in the pairs path, but perseverance and purpose can be strong motivators. As can the love and admiration quickly brewing between the two of them...

I've always had a fascination with Ancient Egypt, which does sometimes make me wonder why I haven't read more books set there. But reading Dancer of the Nile just brought that all back to me. With the culture and the actually quite advanced society, it amazes me, and I think that Scott managed to capture that.

Dancer of the Nile not only involved mortal characters, but also included the Gods. Though I didn't actually feel that that necessarily made the book more about magic than about the characters. I thought it was very well done, and was also impressed with how simply the author managed to convey a complex religious system without losing any of the wonder.

The relationship between Nima and Kamin was believable and enjoyable. There was give and take, and the two of them worked well together to escape the dangerous situations that they ended up in at times. This also meant that there was building chemistry between them.

I really enjoyed Dancer of the Nile, I'm definitely going to be on the lookout for more!