Friday, 24 July 2015

Captive of the Deep by Michelle M Pillow

Title: Captive of the Deep
Series: Lords of the Abyss (#3)
Author: Michelle M Pillow
From: Review Copy
Genre: Urban Fantasy, Romance, Fantasy
Release Date: 4th December 2010
Challenges: COYER Scavenger Hunt, 2015 Prequel & Sequel Challenge (1 point)
Links: Goodreads - Amazon

Lyra comes from a family of sea farers, and they had been commissioned to recreate the Spanish Armada when they are attacked by a Scylla. Saved by the Merr, Rigel, Lyra finds herself in a strange world and completely numb to everything around her. Eventually things start to break through her grief and she starts to see Rigel in a completely different light...

So many questions were answered! I will admit that I had no idea as to the true nature of Scylla, though I had wondered. The answer as to what they were and how they worked surprised me! I don't know what I was expecting exactly but it wasn't that! (But it does make a lot of sense).

Though it was obviously not good for her, I did like the way that Lyra responded to the ship wreck and the loss of her family. The grief that she went through seemed reasonable and the shock was definitely an expected reaction.

The romance between Rigel and Lyra was sweet, there was chemistry there but there was more to it as well. Also this sounds like a really silly think, but when it came to sex, Lyra was experienced whereas Rigel was a virgin. It was so refreshing for it to be that way around, and that it wasn't made a massive deal of!

I'm really enjoying this series, and I'm excited for more!