Wednesday, 8 July 2015

Bitter Fruits by Sarah Daltry

Title: Bitter Fruits
Series: Eden's Fall (#1)
Author: Sarah Daltry
From: Netgalley
Genre: Paranormal, Urban Fantasy, Romance, Erotica
Release Date: 1st December 2013
Challenges: 2015 Reading Assignment, COYER Summer Scavenger Hunt, 2015 Netgalley & Edelweiss Challenge 
Links: Goodreads - Amazon

When Nora goes to a Vampire Masquerade as something different to do, the last thing that she expects is to meet the mysterious Alec, or his brother, Caleb. Soon embroiled in their cursed cycle, she has to help them find a way to free them of the roles they've had since the very start of time...

I really struggled with what to say in this review. If there's one thing I hate it's writing reviews that could be seen as negative. But then I considered, Sarah Daltry is an author I've read several books from and loved the vast majority, but Bitter Fruits wasn't one of them. Maybe it is because I've read such fantastic books from Daltry that this one didn't quite measure up.

*spoiler in the next paragraph - minor one*

The concept actually had potential, the whole cursed brothers *spoiler* who are basically Cain and Abel from the Bible, it's obvious from the beginning *end spoiler* and Lilith. I thought it could work well except that it was kind of turned into a love triangle. One where the central female seemed to have absolutely no morals about sleeping with both of them.

Nora also seemed to have a really easy time accepting that Caleb and Alec weren't normal. They were kind of like vampires but not and they just accepted that. I wasn't a big fan, I would have thought that she'd have at least freaked out a little bit.

I felt that Bitter Fruits had real potential, but then found myself struggling through it because it was for a challenge. Not that it's put me off the author, I've had far more good experiences than bad with Sarah Daltry books!