Thursday, 25 June 2015

Seduction of the Phoenix by Michelle M Pillow

Title: Seduction of the Phoenix
Series: Zhang Dynasty (#1)
Author: Michelle M Pillow
From: Review Copy
Genre: Sci-fi, Romance
Release Date: 26th December 2011
Challenges: N/A
Links: Goodreads - Amazon

Prince Jin is all about tradition and upholding it, something which the Zhang dynasty has a lot of. At one such tradition, Jin finds himself announcing he has chosen his wife after being possessed by one of his ancestors. Francesca promised her late master that she would steal the Jade Phoenix from the Zhang family and get revenge for him. And she will do anything to get it, even if it means betraying her own heart when she realises that she may just be falling for the man that claimed her...

I read Temptation of the Butterfly (the second book in this series) first, which meant that I knew exactly how this book would turn out. That didn't prepare me at all for how it would happen! I was constantly taken by surprise by this book and I really enjoyed it. Reading them out of order also meant that I could see some interesting foreshadowing going on and it was also interesting to see Fen in a different light.

The chemistry between Jin and Francesca was strong, but thaat wasn't all there was to their relationship. There was the banter there for definite, and there was a slow build of trust. I think it worked well considering what was going on in the background.

Francesca was one of those heroines that wasn't afraid to own it. She had a job to do and she got on with it, even if that meant hurting herself. Of course those were also the moments I wanted to yell at her for being an idiot, but it all worked out anyway!

The culture in Seduction of the Phoenix is rich, though unlike book 2 there was more of the sci-fi elements interwoven. Whereas in Temptation of the Butterfly I could find myself getting lost in the Chinese style culture, in Seduction of the Phoenix I was marvelling at just how well Michelle M Pillow can blend two cultures and two styles.

Yet another good Michelle M Pillow read!