Tuesday, 30 June 2015

Protector for Hire by Tawna Fenske

Title: Protector for Hire
Series: Front and Center (#4)
Author: Tawna Fenske
From: Netgalley
Genre: Romance, Suspense
Release Date: 30th June 2015
Challenges: COYER Summer Scavenger Hunt, 2015 Netgalley & Edelweiss Challenge, 2015 New Release Challenge, 2015 Prequel & Sequel Challenge (2 points)
Links: Goodreads - Amazon

Graphic designer, Janelle Keebler has regretted her choice of husband since she discovered that he was actually a drug lord and witnessed him murdering someone in front of her. Now divorced and on the run, she finds herself hiding out with one of her brother-in-law's brothers, Schwartz. Schwartz has shut himself away in the Motana countryside with only his dog Sherman for company for 10 years because of what he experienced in Iraq. But now his family needs his help, and he finds himself taking in Janelle and protecting her...except that that's not all he wants to do to her. As time passes it becomes harder and harder to ignore the attraction pulsing between them and there's only one thing left to do; give in.

I had forgotten quite how much I love Tawna Fenske's writing. Like the other two books in this series that I've read, Marine for Hire and Fiancée for Hire, Protector for Hire had me laughing from the random comments and the banter between the two lead characters. If you never thought that pop tarts could be sexy, then think again!

I loved the interactions between Janelle and Schwartz. There was attraction there and it was obvious, but especially in the earlier parts of the book the focus was more on getting to know each other, and that included inneuendos and banter. It was enjoyable and felt very different from most books easily seduced characters.

Because they were in the middle of nowhere, other characters in the book were sparse, and this made room for one of my favourites; Sherman the wolf-husky cross. I loved how both Schwartz and Janelle got comfort from his presence. I definitely felt that Sherman got his own personality, loveable and protective at the same time.

All the way through the book there was a sense of danger as posed by Janelle's ex, and towards the end of the book the suspense kicked up a notch. It left me with moments where I wanted to yell at the characters for being idiots I admit, but that just showed how much I cared about them!

This is a great series, I love the banter between the characters!