Thursday, 11 June 2015

Book: The Viscount's Christmas Temptation by Erica Ridley

Title: The Viscount's Christmas Temptation
Series: The Dukes of War (#1)
Author: Erica Ridley
From: Amazon
Genre: Regency, Romance
Release Date: 21st October 2014
Challenges: N/A
Links: Goodreads - Amazon

Lady Amelia Pembroke likes to organise, and now she's decided that she needs to find a husband, except that there's one major flaw in her plan. The 75th Annual Sheffield Ball isn't taking place due to a burned down ballroom. Determined to convince the notorious rake, Viscount Benedict Sheffield that he should let her organise the ball, Amelia sets off to wear him down, little realising that she may lose her heart in the process...

I have to say, I love a good, easy to read Regency Romance, and The Viscount's Christmas Temptation definitely gave me that. One of the things I particularly liked about it was that all of the characters seemed to appreciate what Amelia did, while Amelia's organisation was of the household, i.e. what a woman would have actually been expected to do. At the same time, Amelia's somewhat OCD like tendancies were incrediably indearing.

The romance was sweet, though it didn't take long to progress (as is the trope in the genre really) but I don't have a problem with that in Regency Romance. However I found it interesting that the majority of the book was not set at balls and parties, but rather looking to organise one. That, and Amelia's more advanced age, made this stand out from the others.

The Viscount's Christmas Temptation is a quick read, and has some Christmas themes, though I didn't feel like this was a strictly Christmas time story. There were only hints of Christmas here and there, which is very much to my taste (I'm not a massive Christmas themed book fan).

This is a series that I've seen a few bloggers say good things about, so I am definitely glad I've given the first book a try! Plus the cover is beautiful! (Alright judging a book by it's cover is bad, I know!)