Wednesday, 17 June 2015

Book: Princesses Don't Get Fat by Aya Ling

Title: Princesses Don't Get Fat
Series: The Princess Series (#1)
Author: Aya Ling
From: The Princess Series Box Set 
Genre: YA, Fantasy, Romance
Release Date: 24th August 2013
Challenges: N/A
Links: Goodreads - Amazon

Princess Valeria has it all. A life of idleness, with no need to do anything but eat the delicious food that is prepared for her. As one of the only Princesses actually on the marriage market, Valeria's mother has hopes that her daughter's size won't put suitors off, until proven otherwise. With no other choice Valeria's mother sends her to the Royal Riviera Academy for Fighting Arts with the order not to return until she was slimmer. But while there Valeria discovers a talent for recipe creation and finds herself occupied in the palace's kitchens.

Princesses Don't Get Fat is one of those books that I've wanted to read for absolutely ages, and since reading Aya Ling's newest book, The Ugly Stepsister, and loving it I thought that now was the time to give it a go. Except I couldn't help feeling a little underwhelmed. I did enjoy Princesses Don't Get Fat but something didn't quite click for me, maybe it was simply that Valeria didn't quite have the same amount of spunk that Kat did.

I did like that the majority of the story was based on Valeria accepting who she was rather than the romance between her and Prince Ralph (more on that in a moment). From the start of the book Valeria seemed fairly happy with how she was, and her size, but by the end I felt she'd totally embraced it rather than just accepting it though. Which at least shows that it is ok for women to feel good about themselves no matter what they look like. Well I say women, Valeria was only actually 16 in the book.

But honestly I felt more of a connection to Valeria finding her path in life rather than accepting and embracing her weight. (And that was done with a fitter lifestyle). Instead of accepting the path that other's chose for her, Valeria went down her own path and discovered what she wanted, and I liked seeing that role model.

The romance in the book was barely there, despite the fact that it's clear from the beginning that Valeria would get the Prince. I did like that the relationship between Ralph and Valeria was shown as a friendship, and there were some hints of a deeper relationship, but other than that it was mostly all at the end where things got serious.

Princesses Don't Get Fat was good but not quite what I expected. I'll still be reading the sequel though!