Sunday, 14 June 2015

Audiobook: The Lady Meets Her Match by Gina Conkle

Title: The Lady Meets Her Match
Series: Midnight Meetings (#2)
Author: Gina Conkle
Narrator: Marian Hussey
From: Review Copy
Genre: Historical Romance
Release Date: 7th April 2015
Challenges: 2015 New Release Challenge 
Links: Goodreads - Amazon - Audible

Claire Mayhew is a woman determined to prove herself, despite London's poor view of women in business. Cyrus Ryland is not a man known for supporting women's rights, so Claire does the only thing she can think of; she steals his signature. Though Claire knows that there could be dire consequences to her actions, the last thing she expects is to meet Cyrus and feel the attraction that blossoms between them. While Cyrus and Claire explore the pull towards each other, they realise that there may be more to it.

Firstly, Marian Hussey's narration. What I didn't realise until I started The Lady Meets Her Match was that I would have thought it wrong to hear an American narrating (can't explain why if I'm honest) so I was very glad of Hussey's accent. I thought that the performance of the various characters was fantastic and it was very easy to determine which character it was that was speaking simply by listening to the voice (though weirdly I found the voice that Hussey used for Claire the most annoying). I thought that Hussey did a great job of setting the scene and the characters, it made The Lady Meets Her Match very enjoyable.

I couldn't help that notice that there were some points in the story that it seemed like there were a lot of things repeated. In a way this was good because it took me a lot longer to finish an audiobook than it would a normal book, so being reminded of little facts was important, but there was a small amount of frustration linked into that. I was also a bit wary of how I would feel listening to more sexual scenes, but because they weren't many in this book I didn't find them bad at all.

Claire was a great character. She was a determined woman who wanted to prove herself, but she was well aware, and accepting, of the restraints put on women in the era. Despite the fact that she was a progressive heroine, I actually felt that the book was more era appropriate than a lot of similar plot lines. Both Cyrus and Claire acted within the constraints the time would have given them.

There were some hints of Cinderella in The Lady Meets Her Match but I did think that they were only slight and though interesting and enjoyable to pick up on, they weren't central to the story. Nor were they overwhelming. This wasn't a retelling of Cinderella, rather it was a book with some elements added in. I liked that (not that I don't like fairy tale retellings, I actually love them).

This was an enjoyable listen, and has further encouraged me when it comes to my opinion on audiobooks!