Monday, 22 June 2015

A King's Ransom by Reagan Hawk

Title: A King's Ransom
Series: Masters of Pleasure (#1)
Author: Reagan Hawk
From: Review Copy
Genre: Erotic Romance, Sci-fi, Paranormal
Release Date: 22nd April 2013
Challenges: N/A
Links: Goodreads - Amazon

When King Kritan travels to Tamonius to find his long lost brother, he is captured and sold to be a slave in the gladiator rings. The last thing that he expects in the kingdom full of debauchery is to find himself attracted to the virginal Surina. Surina knows that she is somewhat naive, and for her kingdom she is an innocent, but there is a part of her that wants more, that wants a man. Surina's head guard, Rawlin, would love to be that man, but sometimes fate doesn't quite play in their favour...

Fair warning before I properly start my review, A King's Ransom has several erotic scenes, one of them being a threesome involving the two main characters, and several group sex scenes that don't (but are watched), though the latter are brief. The latter are also part of setting the scene which actually I found quite interesting.

So the scene setting sex. I know that sounds like a kind of strange concept, but Kritan was in a rival kingdom whose society basically was very lax, there was a lot of sex and a lot of corruption and some incidents of such were described. I did think that it was interestingi how those worked and felt very different from how the scenes between the two main characters worked out.

One thing that I really picked out as enjoying scene setting wise, was the fact that this world is set after space travel and now space travel is basically frowned upon. Technology has been banned and the people's lives have reverted somewhat. To some extent the society reminded me slightly of Ancient Roman times with some of the culture (though I'm not saying that all Ancient Romans had massive orgys, I'm more talking about the things like clothing, food and society structure).

The political aspects of the book were quite prominant and I liked that, though it did feel like they were only getting started and I would like to know more about where the tensions are going and why certain events were playing out like they were.

There was some insta-love going on, though the two main characters were fated mates (makes it more acceptable) and they both actually thought about it before spurting out that they loved the other person, which was a good change from just randomly saying it first!

I enjoyed A King's Ransom, I thought it worked well on several levels!