Saturday, 27 June 2015

A Hidden Fire by Elizabeth Hunter (June TBR)

Title: A Hidden Fire
Series: Elemental Mysteries (#1)
Author: Elizabeth Hunter
From: Amazon
Genre: Urban Fantasy, Romance, Paranormal
Release Date: 18th October 2011
Challenges: June TBR Meme, COYER Summer Scavenger Hunt
Links: Goodreads - Amazon 

Beatrice, known as B to her friends, never thought that working at a library would lead her to the ever so sexy, and ever so dead, Giovanni. Giovanni puts up a cold exterior, but he can't help but let Beatrice break through it. Faced with a mystery involving missing family memebers and mysteriously appearing letters, they are thrown into an adventure that could have severe consequences for the two of them...

Firstly, A Hidden Fire is the oldest unread book on my kindle, which was what I was aiming for with my TBR list, hosted by Michelle @ Because Reading, and I am almost ashamed to admit that this book has been sitting there for nearly three years waiting to be read. I'm an idiot, it was fantastic and any one else who one clicked really needs to get reading it!


Anyway, where to start with my review itself...as I mentioned on the COYER fb group, there were several moments where I found myself laughing aloud at this book (my favourite moment being when Beatrice asked Giovanni if he was Batman! Which then became a running joke throughout the entire book). I loved the comic moments but there was also more to it. 

The mysteries in the book were varied and not actually very easy to guess at, which I loved (I really like it when I can't work them out!) and most of the answers were given when Beatrice herself worked things out. Not only did the origin of the letters become a mystery, or what happened to Beatrice's family, but even Giovanni's identity was a bit of a mystery. 

I also liked that Beatrice reacted as could be expected in real life when things went very badly. Not necessarily in the scared way, but more of the retreating into herself way. She also didn't just forgive Giovanni for his bad decisions, she made him work for it. 

The vampires in A Hidden Fire were also REAL vampires. As in couldn't go out in the sun, some of them are really evil, kind. I liked the more dangerous edge to them rather than the more 'normal' modern take. I really want to read more from this series now, I can't believe I waited so long to read it!