Sunday, 31 May 2015

Book: Owned by the Alphas 2 by Faleena Hopkins

Title: Owned by the Alphas 2
Series: Werewolves of Yosemite (#2)
Author: Faleena Hopkins
From: Review Copy
Genre: Paranormal, Erotica
Release Date: 9th December 2014
Challenges: 2015 Prequel & Sequel Challenge (1 point)
Links: Goodreads - Amazon

Having been found in the woods by Alpha wolf Calt, Ali is trying to find her footing in the pack's den. Not all that sure of how pack culture works, she watches what is happening around her not quite knowing how to react. As much as he is drawn to Ali, Calt knows that he has a pack to run, and sometimes things can distract him. But Ali is finding herself distracted by not just the alpha that found her, but the rival alpha, Red...

Owned by the Alphas 2 is predominantly part of an erotic serial, and I do think that you need to read Owned by the Alphas 1 in order to fully understand what is going on. Saying that, when it came down to it I actually found it really easy to remember what had happened in the first one despite the fact that there have been months between me reading them (Owned by the Alphas 1 was the first book I read this year, and the fact its taken me this long to get to the sequel just shows to me how disorganised I became with my reading).

The sex isn't necessarily for everyone. Though there isn't anything that I would consider overly risqué, Owned by the Alphas 2 did contain fairly promiscous characters who were with multiple partners (just not at the same time). It was all part of how the wolf pack worked and actually I quite liked how it formed part of their culture.

Though predominantly erotica, there were more complexities to the story than that. This included some of the lore surrounding werewolves in Hopkins' universe, which was both interesting and quite different, particularly the bit about werewolves that weren't born. I've never read anything which looks at it that way (I don't want to spoil it by revealing what it is) and it definitely has me intrigued!

I enjoyed Owned by the Alphas 2, its refreshing to see more animalistic wolves in the genre!