Friday, 22 May 2015

Book: The Duff by Kody Keplinger

Title: The Duff
Series: Hamilton High (#1)
Author: Kody Keplinger
From: Netgalley
Genre: New Adult, Romance
Release Date: 7th September 2010
Challenges: 2015 Netgalley & Edelweiss Challenge
Links: Goodreads - Amazon

Bianca has never take to partying quite like her best friends, Jessica and Casey. But one night Wesley Rush, the biggest player at Hamilton High talks to her. Telling her that she is the Designated Ugly Fat Friend (in comparison to her two bezzies). What Bianca didn't expect was the attraction that sparks up between them. When things at home spiral out of control, Bianca turns to Wesley and they begin a physical relationship little expecting the consequences for their hearts.

Finally! A book with teenagers that act like teenagers. The characters in The Duff are all still in High School, but they act like real teenagers rather than the over sensible don't even know what sex is and refuse to swear kind you get in most high school books. So I'd say that The Duff would fall into more New Adult catagory. Though there is nothing explicit in the book, sex is an important part of the story.

The Duff has a certain amount of predictability about it, like a good chick flick (which I guess it is, though I watched the trailors and I think it is one of those films that I'd end up yelling at cause it isn't the same!) And completely honestly, I read it with that in mind (it's been one hell of a week!) which meant that I really enjoyed it. The Duff was definitely an easy and enjoyable read.

Wesley and Bianca had a love-hate kind of relationship which had at least some basis on physical attraction, and that made their relationship work well. There were plenty of issues with it and surrounding them which made it seem more real. They also knew each other for a while, then slept together for a while, then decided that actually they wanted to be with each other. It felt far more realistic than insta-forever love that some teenage characters seem to experience.

So Bianca herself. The first person narrative definitely gave an insight into Bianca's mind and I loved her as an MC. Despite not being that confident in herself for the most part, Bianca's voice wasn't whiny or depressing, quite the oppsite and I found myself laughing at times at lines in the book. Even more so than her relationship with Wesley, the story was about Bianca's growing confidence and self worth, which I think should be the focus of more books aimed at a teenage audience.

There was also a big focus on friendships, and not everything that the girls talked about was boy-related (though some of it was). I did feel that theirs was a true friendship and hadn't just been put in as a nod to conformity. I also liked the way that they supported each other but still had fall outs.

This book just worked for me. I liked it but I don't think I'll be watching the film any time soon, I have a feeling it would frustrate me!